Today is the day, exactly 1 year, 3 months and 29 days since I hit publish on my first master bedroom post..., the master bedroom is FINALLY done (well, done if you ignore the missing baseboards....)!
This would not have happened without the motivation and encouragement from Linda at Calling It Home, the other linking participants and my fabulous readers! It was a real doozy of a challenge, but walking into a freshly done room makes it all worth it!
If you missed any of the makeover series you can catch up HERE:
Here's a reminder of what we started with (THE bed!)....
and here's my design mood board...
and the After!
Let's circle around the room....(ignore the unpainted door...)
Right off the bat, you may notice a huge change from the original plan.... the vintage nightstands didn't make the cut (cue sad face!) When it was all said and done they were just too small. I didn't give up on them until Wednesday afternoon, but when I did, I realized that I didn't have any replacements. So I basically raided the house for things I thought worked and wouldn't you know it, the "side tables" are some of my favorite things in the room - be prepared I'm going to say that a lot today!
My side... (vintage tool box, old ammo box, vintage wood filing cabinet drawer, Metal Letter K(similar) , old books)
and Justin's side...(vintage MCM table, old books, yard sale picture, yard sale brass cow, homemade cigar box, and actual cigar box).
The only real DIY I needed to do for the room was building the wall sconces...(I don't have a tutorial yet, but I'm working on it!) We ended up mounting them to a couple old cedar boards that we hauled home from my sisters. It wasn't my original vision, but I looooove how they turned out!
You can see that I just made them into plug in sconces and I wasn't able to hide the cord due to the location of the switch, but honestly, it doesn't bother me.
I made the bandanna pillows at the last second, and they turned out cool, but they were crazy weird to make. Basically I thought my bandannas were to small for my Euro Pillows, so I added some faux tooled leather, and they ended up too big! Gah! Here's a simple tutorial if you want to make your own...Easy Bandanna Pillow.
I had to run all over the Treasure Valley tracking down the King Size version of the duvet, apparently I got the LAST one. If I had time I would have ordered it online ( Threshold Vintage Washed Linen Duvet Set). I picked up the Pendleton blanket after Christmas last year and the sheets are the embroidered cream Nate Berkus from Target ! So pretty!
Oh, you can read about the rug HERE! It's seriously SO perfect for the room!
I created a little sitting area in between the bedroom door and the door to the patio. It was the perfect place for my dressing mirror (made by my dad out of reclaimed wood and an old mirror!) , a small collection of vintage paint by numbers, our yard sale chair , and a sign from my shop!
Finally, we have the wall directly across from the bed. It's an awkward space since I needed to leave a pathway to the bathroom and accommodate a Tv. Funny story about that... the TV hookups were actually on the wall where the mirror is, but I hated it there, so I convinced my husband we needed to ditch cable just so I could move it! Ha! The little mid century cabinet I made over ended up the perfect size for the spot and provided some much needed boot storage! I painted the sign for the Vintage to the Core Show and thought it was too cool to stash in the garage, so we hung it in our room! I love that it picks up the color of the headboard!
I'm using the ladder to display some misc blankets that I picked up from farm stores or yard sales. All the decor are vintage yard sale finds...oh, except the giant arrow, it was a gift from my cousins from Hobby Lobby.
If you are a savvy reader, you may notice I have only mentioned 3 of the 4 walls in our room. That's because there was one really big project that didn't get done, so I will leave it for a later post. I guess the last thing I should mention are the curtains! Its just yardage of muslin that I clipped up. I didn't even bother to sew it! I love the relaxed look of it and its just wide enough to cover the windows.
So there we have it! Another successful One Room Challenge in the books!!
I'm super happy with how our room turned out and I am so glad I took the time to focus on getting it done! Its the first time we've had a decorated master since we got married!
Thank you for following along with this room makeover!