Its that time of year again! I thought I would re-share my secret to healthier & bigger seed starts!!
I halfway considered calling this post "what not to do with your seed starts"...but figured I've learned enough to share some tips with you!
...would you believe it if I told you these were planted on the exact same day!? We did all of our seed starts back in mid March using egg crates(...being thrifty and all!). As they grew we noticed when they got to a certain point they started to look a little sad.
Well who wants sad plants?? Not me!
Here's some tips:
1. If you use a seed start tray(or egg crates) be prepared to transfer them at about 4 weeks.
2. Pick a south facing window to place your starts in front of. No need for fancy lights.
3. Make sure to thin seeds after first sprouts come up. You only want ONE plant in each seed cell.
4. Water from the bottom if possible, this way they only absorb the water they need.
5. Start bigger- to save a step, just start your seeds in bigger pots to begin with. It will also give you a better idea of how much room you need for your desired amount of plants.
6. If you need more space, consider a green house. Right now our indoor plant location is over run with plants and we still have more than half to transfer to bigger pots. I hope to get our green house up this weekend!
I really hope these tips help take your plants from this...
Linking up with: