Image Map

Belly Tales {birth story}

He's here!!!

For months I had been saying I thought I would have him around the 13th...10 days early from my due date and also the day that my daughter passed away. Something had been telling me that this little man was God's gift to us; a promise of joy during a time that could be easily filled with pain. Of course just because I was saying it didn't mean that it would happen. I had been having contractions on and off for a couple weeks body's way of completely tricking me over and over I had no way of knowing when REAL labor was going to happen and we had already decided that we wanted to avoid being induced. My husband and I talked a lot about what I wanted this labor to be like, trying to think of things that I might want to experience in case this ends up being my last baby. It really came down to how I felt about getting an epidural...our last experience was terrible- it took 6 tries to get it in and they failed to keep the pain meds running...ouch! So this time I decided I would just see how it goes. I decided I wasn't going in with any real plan. If the pain got to much to handle or if I got stuck laboring without making progress I would consider the epidural, otherwise I had no plan.

On Nov 13th, I woke up feeling pretty good. I wasn't having any contractions and didn't feel icky- the day prior I had been nauseous every time we got in the car. I decided that I need to keep my mind busy so that I just didn't sit around moping. I decided to clean the house top to bottom which felt great! It was so nice to have everything in order. After all morning cleaning I got Elle down for her nap and decided to work on my blog a bit, I was having trouble sitting at the desk...finding it uncomfortable and realizing I was going to the bathroom every 5 mins. I brushed it off as the normal pre labor stuff. Around 2pm I started getting ready for my Dr appointment that afternoon. I found I was doing a bit of a dance every few minutes and was having pretty consistent contractions. Again, I figured it wasn't real labor and just worked through them.
Here's me at 38 weeks 5 days- before leaving for the Dr!

I met my husband at the Dr at 3, I was still having contractions and they were actually starting to hurt. We got in to talk with the Dr , I told her I had been having contractions so she decided to check me and I was already at 3 cm! She hooked me up to the monitor and my contractions were coming every 3 minutes. We all felt I was in early labor, but that I probably had time to go do some walking and finish up anything we needed to. I called my mom and told her it might be a good idea to head my way(she had a 7 hour drive to be here in time). Honestly, I was surprised it was happening...and on the day I had suspected! Crazy! We spent the rest of the afternoon and evening registering at the hospital, putting the baby bag together, and grocery shopping for a snack bag for Elle. My contractions were consistently 3-4 mins apart, but getting stronger as the evening went on.

We finally decided to just hang out at home until they got bad enough to go to the hospital. I was afraid to sit down- for fear that the contractions would stop- but finally settled in to watch some TV. At about 8:30 pm the Dr called to see how I was doing. Even tho I told her I didn't feel like I was progressing she decided I better come in and be checked. We got to the hospital around 9 pm and I was at 4 cm. I agreed to walk the hospital for an hour and be checked again. In that time the contractions really picked up strength, but were still not getting very close together. After walking I was checked again and at 5 cm. The Dr decided we weren't going anywhere- she was afraid we would have the baby on the Long Bridge if I left!  I labored for another couple hours and was at a 6-7 cm. My contractions actually were only coming every 6 mins or so, but when they did it hurt bad!! Having the break in between contractions made each one easier to deal with. My mom got to the hospital about 1 in the morning and I was still laboring along. I had yet to request an epidural, I felt like I was making it thru each contraction and wasn't feeling to tired or anything.  I decided that I would get some IV meds if I really couldn't handle the pain. At this point I was in the transition stage of labor...when the pain really starts to kick in. After an hour or so of super painful contractions that took every ounce of concentration to get thru, we finally discussed whether the Dr should break my water.

I had told the Dr that once my water breaks I usually have a baby pretty mom and husband both finally told her to do it after I labored for another hour without getting anywhere and being in crazy intense pain. She finally agreed! My water broke about 4:40 am, and she checked me saying that I was still had cervix in the way and couldn't push....mind you , at this point I still hadn't requested any drugs, I was full on feeling every ounce of pain and felt the incredible need to push. The Dr got up in my face to try and convince me not to push, but I couldn't help it. I gave one good push- I could feel him move into the birth canal and I could hear the Dr yelling at me not to push, but I just kept going. Then I heard the Dr tell me to give one more little push and he was OUT! At 4:50, exactly 10 mins from when my water broke...the Dr didn't even have time to get both of her gloves on all the way...or break down the bed...really she only had time to catch him!

She laid my tiny little man on my chest and I just remember my husband telling me how awesome I did...that has to be the best...seeing my tiny baby for the first time and seeing the pure happiness in my husbands eyes as he sees his new son! I swear I fell in love with him all over again in that moment

Meeting Big Sister

Lots of kisses for baby brother!

I still can't believe I did the whole natural childbirth thing...I don't really think it was ever my intention. I sorta feel like wonder woman, although it might not be easy to convince me to do it again.

1 comment :

  1. He is just beautiful! Your pictures are so nice. Your story about your family is so, so touching. You must have some serious strength girl - to have gone through everything you have and to have a such a great attitude. Looking forward to poking around you blog a bit more.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...